Responding to a specific disaster: Please contact us before you start collecting goods, to ensure they are appropriate and can be sent. We can only send goods that match the needs of people on the ground in a particular disaster, and which can be easily transported to where they’re needed. This can vary greatly from disaster to disaster.
Help us prepare for future disasters: Once a major disaster strikes, anywhere in the world, help is needed immediately, or lives can be lost by the day. Crossroads’ volunteers prepare disaster kits, to United Nations standards, to send the right help in the right time. These kits are stored, ready to be sent as soon as possible.
Prefer for us to do the collecting? Your financial gift can help us prepare and send more disaster kits to where they’re needed. Click below to give. Please designate your donation for “Disaster relief fund”.
WHAT YOU CAN COLLECT
Hygiene Kits: for 6 persons, all items should be new and placed in a small red/white/blue striped bag. Please indicate female-specific bags with a pink sticker.
- 6 x toothbrushes
- 2 x large tubes of toothpaste
- 4 x bars of soap
- 6 x face cloths
- 6 x small towels
- 2 x disposable razors
- 1 x small packet washing powder (biodegradable, if possible)
- 1 x packet feminine sanitary napkins
Cleaning Kits: for 6 persons, all items should be new and placed in a small red/white/blue striped bag.
- 1 x plastic bucket/tub
- 3 x pairs rubber gloves
- 5 x face masks
- 1 x pack garbage bags
- 1 x packet scrubbing pads
Kitchen Kits: for 6 persons, all items should be new and placed in a small red/white/blue striped bag.
- 1 x durable small cooking pot with well fitting lid
- 1 x plastic basin/tub
- 1 x metal kitchen knife
- 2 x wooden spoons
- 6 x plastic eating plates
- 6 x metal spoons
- 6 x plastic mugs
- 1 x box mosquito coils
- 1 x can opener
First Aid Kits: Complete sets of new items, such as sold in local stores.
Place the any of the following items (must be new) into a large ‘Zip Loc’ (clip-seal) plastic bag:
- 1 x packet of individually wrapped sterile plasters
- 2 x bandages
- 3 x sterile gauze packets (individually wrapped, non-medicated wound dressings)
- 1 x triangular bandage
- 1 x adhesive tape
- 1 x package safety pins
- 1 x scissors
- 1 x tweezers – stainless steel
- 2 x pairs disposable gloves
The following basic medication must be in original packaging:
- Antiseptic/ antibacterial cream
- Burn Ointment
Water Purification tablets: Following a disaster, many, if not all, drinkable water sources are contaminated. This affects not just those drinking water, but those using powdered milk mixed with water, cooking, washing, etc. For this reason, water purification tablets are in great demand.
Mosquito repellent: Mosquitoes in stagnant water can rapidly spread disease following a disaster.
Temporary Shelter Supplies:
(in good condition)
- Tents (all parts included and secured)
- Sleeping bags
- Sleeping mats
- Torches/flashlights (incl. 4 sets of batteries)
- Plastic sheeting (New)
Back to School Kits: (Individual Packages)
Place the following items in a large ‘Zip-Loc’ (clip-seal) plastic bag:
- 3 x pencils
- 3 x pens
- 1 x pencil sharpener
- 1 x eraser
- 1 x ruler
- 3 x exercise books
- 1 x glue stick
- 1 x set of colour pens/pencils/crayons
(Optional: school bags in good condition)
Construction and Livelihood Materials:
- Bulk supplies are needed of any of the following listed items:
- Small hand tools for construction (i.e. hammers, saws, pliers, drills, screwdrivers, etc.)
- Plywood sheets
- Corrugated iron sheets
- Corrugated fiberglass/plastic roofing
- Electrical cabling
- Tarpaulins/plastic sheeting
- Pressure washers to clean mud-caked homes
Other ‘Restarting Supplies’:
- Basic Stationery (separated into categories: notebooks and binders; art supplies; writing tools; miscellaneous [including staplers, scissors, hole punches, etc] all in good condition please)
- Sports Equipment (variety of sports equipment as well as pumps for ball maintenance for schools and youth)
- Basic Library ‘Kits’ (various children’s books in good condition to restock damaged school libraries)
WE ARE ADVISED WE ARE UNABLE TO SEND
- Second Hand clothing
- Medication (except basic medication specified in First Aid Kits – see above)
- Milk products (formula and powdered milk)
Are you ready to donate goods?DONATE GOODS
Do you still have questions? Contact us.
If you would like to donate money for us to purchase these supplies and to support our partners click ‘Donate Money’. Please designate your donation for “Disaster relief fund”. Thank you