One of the tenets of our fair trade principles is care for the environment. In our cafe and marketplace, we sell goods that are eco friendly as well as powerful in generating income for people in need.
The creativity of our producers leaves us in awe as they recycle and upcycle.
• In Uganda, for example, victims of the war years were strapped for materials to generate income. They roll, colour and varnish newspaper to produce jewellery so elegant none of our shoppers can guess the source material.
• In Mongolia and Myanmar, artisans upcycle glass shard to produce Christmas ornaments.
• In Cambodia, in the hands of craftsmen, rice sacks turn into funky bags, large and small.
• In India, saries are upcycled to provide decorative features on hessian bags.
• In Vietnam, crisp wrappers turn into tableware
Many of those farmers and suppliers also focus on organic products: tea, coffee, jams, cocoa, chocolates and spices.